November 6, 2009
Experience SAM Downtown bursting at the seams with art, performances, talks, dancing and more at this late-night creative explosion!
The night's activities include:
- A talk by artist Heide Hinrichs at 8:30 pm
- A temporary tattoo parlor featuring Michelangelo-inspired designs by artists Allison Manch and Ariana Page Russell
- A reading by poet Melanie Noel in response to
SAM Next: Heide Hinrichs
- Mashups spun by Tigerbeat in South Hall
- Performances by Scratchmaster Joe and DJ Riz of KEXP in the Brotman Forum
- Cellist Paul Rucker playing live in the galleries
- Stilt dancer Janet Rayor in the Brotman Forum
- DXARTS Sound Lab with Stelios Manousakis and Nicolas Varchausky of DXARTS, Center for Digital Arts and Experimental Media, University of Washington
- Appearances by The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and Yodeling Dominatrix Manuela Horn, Teatro ZinZanni performer and recent contestant on America’s Got Talent
- SAMtrax playlists in the Third and Fourth Floor galleries, curated by writers from The Stranger, artists, critics and more, including Derrick Cartwright, Bethany Jean Clement, Jen Graves, Nancy Guppy, Aaron Huffman, Mistress Matisse, Larry Mizell, Jr., Charles Mudede, Curtis Steiner and Joey Veltkamp
- A design competition using Seattle-based artist Curtis Steiner's 1,000 Blocks interactive sculpture; designs created between 9 and 10 pm will be judged by Steiner and the winner will be awarded a prize at 10:30 pm
- Participate in The World, A Giant Poem, an interactive project by Spanish poet and performance artist Miguel Angel Arenas
- Hands-on luminaria projects in conjunction with SAM's El Día de los Muertos tapete
- Fashion designs inspired by artworks in SAM's collection by designer Anna Dicklhuber, winner of the 2009 Masquerade Fashion Show competition recently hosted at Pacific Place
- My Favorite Things tours with local artists, critics and arts organizations, including Brendan Jansen, Margot Quan Knight, Joshua Kohl of the Degenerate Art Ensemble, Sherry Markovitz, Jeffry Mitchell, Dan Webb, Claude Zervas, Jen Graves, Kurt Beattie & Carlo Scandiuzzi (ACT Theatre), Colton Carothers (Advocates for the Arts and Outlaws, UW School of Law), and the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence
SAM members enjoy priority access at Remix through the members-only entrance and a special lounge featuring a bar, a Pernod Absinthe fountain, opportunities to mingle with local artists and Remix performers, and one free glass of wine or non-alcoholic beverage of choice. Not a member? Join SAM today.
SAM is proud to have the following organizations as our November SAM Remix cohosts: ACT Theatre, Advocates for the Arts, EMP|SFM, NW NOMA—National Organization of Minority Architects, NetIP—the Network of Indian Professionals, Out for Sustainability, Outlaws at the University of Washington School of Law, Pacific Northwest Ballet Backstage Pass, Seattle Out and Proud (SOaP),The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Teatro ZinZanni, Urban ArtWorks, UrbEvents and more.
Tickets may be purchased at the Ticketing Desk at any of SAM's three sites or over the phone with a credit card by calling the Box Office at 206.654.3121. This is an ages 18+ event.
The first 100 guests at Remix the night of the event get in free at the door!
Remix Sponsor: Pernod Absinthe
SAM is a recipient of The Wallace Foundation Excellence Award, created to support exemplary arts organizations to pioneer effective practices to engage more people in high-value arts activities.