Teen Night Out
December 7, 2012
Join us for a fun-filled art explosion! Celebrate the creativity and ingenuity of women artists with an evening brimming with art-making, art tours, and more. This event is FREE and open to teens age 13–18.
Featured exhibitions are Elles: Women Artists from the Centre Pompidou, Paris and Elles: SAM, Singular Works by Seminal Women Artists.
Teen Night Out Will Feature:
- Headline performance by local rapper Katie Kate
- DJ Sharlese spinning pop, hip-hop, soul and local favorites all night long
- A treats & sweets lounge where you can enjoy a cool drink and something sweet
- An opportunity to adorn and embellish your own image with artist Elizabeth Humphrey by creating a framed photo inspired by the work of Frida Kahlo and Cindy Sherman
- Design your own call to action magnets and buttons inspired by the work of the Guerrilla Girls
- An opportunity to apply for SAM's Teen Arts Group
- Capture your call to action with a photo by Team Photogenic
- A video crew from Reel Grrls will capture your responses to questions about feminism, art, inspiration, and more
- Experience an American Tribal Style Belly Dance performance and lesson with Skin Deep Dance joined by Deep SEEDs
- Create a trading card with local illustrator Julie Baroh from Gage Academy of Art
- Meet Stephanie Chan and Joe Abbott from Shorewood DECA to learn and discuss global issues concerning women
- Celebrate the contributions of women and girls to geeky pursuits of all kinds with GeekGirlCon's trivia game: Ten Things I Know About You
- Be inspired by the strength of superheroes and create your own power bands with local artist Romson Bustillo
- Silkscreen an image with Eric Carnell from The Vera Project
- Rock out to live performances and instrument demos with the girls of Rain City Rock Camp for Girls
- See photographs by local teens in the Washington State High School Photography Exhibit
- Enjoy fresh young talent with Open Mic in the galleries! Feel free to jump in and showcase your own talents!
- Check out My Favorite Things tours of Elles: SAM and Elles: Pompidou with SAM Teens: Sonia, Stephanie and Aisling
Support for Teen Programs provided by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, Starbucks Foundation, The Thanksgiving Foundation and the Seattle Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs
Gifts in memory of Susan Torrance from her family and many friends have helped make this event possible.