- Resources in the Library are non-circulating (cannot
be checked out).
- Library users are encouraged to visit and to read
and view materials in the library reading rooms. We limit information
delivered over the phone to no more than 10 minutes' worth.
If you require more time, we request that you come in to view the information
in person, or we can mail it to you via the U.S. Postal Service. We
are also happy to respond to requests via email.
- Most of the research services we offer are free of charge.
On occasion, expenses are incurred and the patron is
charged a nominal fee. We can make photocopies of materials and provide
black and white printouts for $.10 per page. If you would like information
mailed to you, the cost is $.10 per page plus the cost of postage. Fees
may be paid in cash or by check made out to the Seattle Art Museum
- Collection Development Policy
- Donations Policy
Services: We Can Help You
- Locate books or other materials you need to do your research.
- Find information on objects in SAM’s permanent collection.
- Track down biographical and other information on artists.
- Pinpoint galleries or museums that may hold an artist’s work.
- Locate auction houses that have sold work by a particular artist
(if available). We do not provide selling prices; see below.
- Find an appraiser or gallery.
- Find all kinds of information about art and artists.
Services: We CANNOT
- Provide selling prices for art sold at auction.
- Appraise or give value estimates on any work of art.
- Authenticate any work of art.
- Inter-library loan books.
- Deliver great amounts of information over the phone due to limited
staff and the needs of other patrons. In such cases, we request that
you come in to view the information in person, or we can mail it to
you via the U.S. Postal Service.